Process and Schedule
January 9, 2024
PROJECT BRIEF DUE BY MIDNIGHT:
February 16, 2024
APPLICANTS NOTIFIED OF DECISION; INVITATIONS FOR PROPOSALS:
March 4, 2024
PROPOSALS DUE BY MIDNIGHT:
April 12, 2024
Applicants notified of decision:
Discovery Grants for Cancer Research: Advancing Innovation
We embrace cancer research that takes a bold, collaborative and equity-focused approach, and we consider risk a necessity. We also recognize the importance of research that continues to refine and improve existing approaches. Discovery Grants fund both early and established cancer research in the quest for improved detection, treatment and outcomes
Discovery grant funding can be utilized for:
- Research that builds a greater understanding of cancer development and growth.
- Research on the cusp of the “next stage.” This includes early research or late-stage research ready for clinical trial.
- Research actively seeking to reduce disparities by targeting improved access, treatment and outcomes for marginalized communities.
- Research that identifies and dismantles barriers for underserved communities to increase the diversity of clinical trial participants, population cohorts and clinical samples.
- Research focused on rare forms of cancer or cancer research that is traditionally under-resourced and has seen little development in a decade or more.
Projects that demonstrate collaboration and data sharing across a range of institutions and/or disciplines are highly encouraged. However, the principal investigator(s) must be located in Washington or Oregon.
Who Can Apply
Organizations must have a primary focus on cancer research or a dedicated cancer research division. Supported activities include equipment purchases, information technology, data and measurement systems and capacity building. Please speak to a member of the Foundation team before requesting or budgeting for conference travel.
Our grants are directed toward organizations located in and directly serving residents of Oregon and Washington. Organizations must be a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit or a public institution providing services and research that aligns with the Foundation’s mission. We welcome and encourage collaboration with other entities inside and outside of our region and recognize that clinical trials often require a large geographic footprint. We support collaborative, multi-institutional efforts when the work is being led by researchers based in Oregon or Washington.
We will not consider requests for:
- Grants to individuals
- Fundraising events
- Reserve funds or debt elimination
- Organizations that discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran or disability statuses in the delivery of services and in their employment practices.
Size and Duration of Grant
Duration of Grant: One-year grants or multi-year grants up to three years.
Funding range: Up to $350,000 per year
Maximum funding: $1,050,000 over a three-year period.
Indirect cost rate: 10 percent.
Types of Support
- Program expansion
Capital and Infrastructure
Research and Evaluation
- Data and measurement systems
We appreciate your time and interest in applying for a grant from the Kuni Foundation.
If you have any questions about the grant program or application process, please contact Robyn Shuey via e-mail at email@example.com.